PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Vulcan riggers/XM558 riggers
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 16:15
Exrigger

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Are what memories this brings back, especially the photo showing the safety raiser with no sides, we right handed bods found it easier from the port side as shown.

we had one near incident in 1970 winter time on the OCU at Scampton, the two of us went down in the land rover to squippers and picked up a packed chute, got back to the aircraft, lifted onto the Safety Raiser, positioned it and locked the feet down and then pumped it up to the height for us.

First thing was to connect the shackle and then the two of us lifted the pack up onto the slope of the tail with a view to sliding it into the hole, however at the 'heave' moment a gap opened up between the aircraft and Safety Raiser my oppo jumped onto the aircraft as he was sort of half on half off but I was not, tried to stop the chute pack falling between the gap but no joy and off it went pulling parts of the chute out as the pack fell to the ground.

I was stuck, stretched between the aircraft and raiser, but managed to get back onto the raiser got down the ladder and re-positioned it, my oppo had released the shackle and dropped it down to join the rest of the chute.

When explaining what happened our first words were the aircraft moved and then realized how daft that comment was, however after having the pan looked at it was noted that the raiser was on black ice and had slid about 2-3 feet, however explaining all this to the squippers when we took the chute back to get another one was fun.

Also agree that health and safety would never allow us to do things that way now as I also remember of the two of us one sat on the door and both wound the door closing tool to make it a tad easier.