PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finally Started my Training!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 16:01
Blueduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Tom,

I well remember where you are now and it wasn't that long ago for me.
the lessons and exercises you're doing now will all make sense once you're doing circuits and you'll do lots of them!

I've got a 2.7 hours solo time now (see Personal Flying Videos Mark II thread) but still start each day with some dual time with my instructor. I'm normally the first lesson of the day and he likes to check the weather at circuit height and the thermal/wind landscape on final approach before sending me aloft alone, which is fine by me. I can drop him off on the apron and still have him in my head poking and prodding at the relevant times.
Forgetting to close carb heat on final is my weakness at the moment but I'm developing muscle-memory for the procedures and self commentating for mind-memory.

Another hour or so and some area familiarisation will hopefully see me solo outside the circuit.
It's amazing what a switch from runway 27 to 09 for the first time can do to your circuits "where the heck are my landmarks?".

We've also had time aloft where the circuit has been busy with turn-backs for passenger nausea and low altitudes joins etc where the post lesson briefing explained that it wasn't a good day to go solo; it was my intro to flapless landings and what with all the radio chatter, put an orbit in for spacing, don't put an orbit in as there's someone behind you, what's this numpty doing below us at 500 feet cutting across the base leg? etc.
It was a good days experience of a busy circuit and I took plenty of firsts from it anyway.

I'm weather watching now as I see lessons may start to get cancelled.
My instructor is also away for 3 weeks from mid September...augh.
The bank balance will be happy for the break though.