PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landings
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 12:03
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to PPRuNe Jabba,

In addition to Mach Jump's advice, which I quite agree with, I will add a suggestion that you think about this differently in the bigger picture; Let your brain fly the plane.

Your brain knows where the plane should go, right down the runway centerline, neatly touching down on the runway, and thereafter following the centerline, until its time to turn off. Have your brain make the plane do this, don't focus on what your hands and feet are doing, or similarly what flight control is being moved how. Watch out the windshield, get the sight picture, and do what it take to maintain it. Forget about the "circuit" of control which makes that happen, it'll work itself out, if you stop thinking about it.

If you can fly an approach down the centerline, and it's not terribly gusty near the ground, your should feel confident that you can make a decent landing out of it. If you doubt, go around. If the upwind main wheel touches first, very nice, that means your brain held a little into the wind roll for the aircraft. The aircraft will happily continue straight on the runway, if your brain commands it to roll a little more as you slow.

When I mentor pilots I focus on giving airplane attitude advice if needed, rather than saying "up elevator" or "left aileron". I do admit to occasionally firmly saying "XX Rudder!" when taildragger training, but that's to get the pilot's brain thinking faster