PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 07:54
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Albert Tales

During my time as an AGE I heard the following story regarding aircraft navigation and its "relative" merits re FJ and Trash Hauling. I was also led to believe that our current raconteur of directional consultancy was the main protagonist from the Albert side.

" Sometime in the very early 90s ASCOT 4*** was detailed to return the remnants of the Ground equipment, ground tradesmen and the non flying aircrew (see, I even got the seniority right) of a Tornado Squadron to Marham from their exercise at Akrotiri. Due to loading delays (they couldn't get the Houchins on with the pitchforks they had used on the rest of the freight) the leg was continued, but the Albert crew were told to night stop Marham, as they would be out of crew duty hours. On landing at Marham, the crew were told that they would be accommodated on base, and so, never wishing to miss some sort of "route steal" accepted the invite of a beer or three at the passenger squadrons HQ on base. On arrival at the Royals only invite, the crew soon split to Nav and Drivers, and therefore mingled within their own environment. Our Albert Nav was soon in conversation with one of the Tonka squadrons senior navs, who showed him their flight planning room. A large map of Suffolk/Norfolk was mounted on the wall, with several different tracks emblazoned upon it. "what's this" asks our compass smith from Albert ? "Why" says senior FJ Wizzo, "that's our standard Nav routing from Marham". Our "hero" draws,from one of his ankle mounted pockets, a global map, festooned with loops and lines emanating from a small Wiltshire village, "no" he says, this is routing, that's local flying.

I have no idea of the veracity of that tale, I was certainly not on that particular route, but perhaps someone on this thread might know if it happened. I like to think it did.

My question for R4H,

I also heard of a "supersonic" Albert and an Air experience flight for a lady JENGO from a Phantom Sqn on an Akronelli Det. Not sure why, but your name came up as occupying the LH seat. Any truth ?

Smudge