PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many lessons should/can you take in one day?
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 15:08
Silvaire1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
North American teaching tends to be by osmosis, if you expose the student to things enough times, some of it sinks in. In Europe a more structured building block approach was introduced in 1917. You brief, you fly what you have briefed, then you land and debrief. Conducting unbriefed lessons is a waste of the students time and money.
The only thing at actually matters is whether the student measures up to the written and practical test standards, when eventually tested. I think how the student gets to that point is his own business, not something government should properly dictate. I learned to fly in my own aircraft, in a way my instructor and I agreed on, at very low cost (about $25/hr, the cost of fuel, plus a $40 fixed cost to the instructor regardless of lesson duration). Each and every hour was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot more than being run through a mill. I subsequently did very well when tested. What rigidity does is reduce flexibility, increase cost and discourage many students from getting involved. I guess that does serve as an introduction to what remains of European GA.