PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUSFLY 2015 September 4-6, YNRM
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 09:05
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W8,
As a matter of interest, the Canadian owner maintenance system is not new, it has been around since early 1990s.

In end 1996 it was put up for discussion, and was shouted down by "the industry", not limited to existing maintenance orgs., but also alphabet soup groups, NOT including AOPA, which, at the time, strongly supported the idea.

Needless to say, the ALAEA, both within and without CASA were vehemently opposed, as were CASA airworthiness as a group, along with vocal groups within the FOIs. All in the interests of safety, you know.

I well recall the comments of one then well known member of the ALAEA, at a meeting in Canberra: " I had to do a five year apprenticeship to change sparkplugs!!!. My reply was:" XXXX, in your case, I can understand that." He was not even a little bit amused.

With such broad (but entirely self serving, inward looking and change resistent) opposition, Leroy Keith, the then CASA CEO/DAS didn't pursue the matter, and AOPA could not carry it alone.

Not all the problems of Australian aviation are CASA's fault, there is plenty of blame to go around.

Tootle pip!!