PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Run and break when will they learn ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2003, 21:38
hugh flung_dung

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Zlin:
I repeat my view that, flown sensibly by experienced instructors and only when airfield conditions are appropriate, the VRIAB is a perfectly safe, efficient and fun way of getting back on the ground at a GA airfield.

Keef:
To be kind to your engine you are probably planning your TOD point at about 4nm per 1000ft, depending on speed; this is only applicable to cruise descent. I don't suggest that a VRIAB is essential; only that it is efficient, saves the stude money and is kind to the engine.

VFR800:
The accident report makes it plain that a VRIAB did not contribute to the accident but I agree with those that say we shouldn't discuss it any further.

ChrisN:
I agree wholeheartedly with the comment about R/T terminology, that's why I don't advocate the use of the term "initials".

My earlier contribution used the terms "when flown sensibly", "if appropriate" and "as appropriate". There are times when I believe it would not be appropriate and, having spent 5-10 years as a gliding instructor (and nearly the same time as a tug pilot) some years ago at a somewhat busier place than NW, I believe the presence of lots of gliders would constitute such a time - although tug pilots tend to return in a fairly non-standard and efficient way!

To others:
My one doubt in all this is that others with less experience and training will see and copy without a full understanding.
The technique is useful in some circumstances (we also use it if returning as a pair to break for a stream landing, if not appropriate to fly the break the circuit and landing are flown as a pair) but there are several potential pitfalls and it should definitely not be a "beat-up":
- ensure that the airfield management and CFI approve it for your level of experience
- ensure that you know how to do it safely (both for yourself and others)
- be considerate
- use plain R/T, as has been mentioned many times the term "initials" is not generally recognised

Following on from the comment about straight-in approaches, try to avoid them at uncontrolled fields. A far better technique (if an overhead join is not appropriate) is to join on the deadside at circuit height and then turn over the upwind end of the runway to join as a normal crosswind join. This is called a level break but just call joining deadside and everyone will understand.

And finally, most experienced instructors will tell you that with any join it's good to be slightly below circuit height if you are in doubt about seeing other circuit traffic, it's much easier to spot them against the sky than the ground.

To misquote Chamberlain: "peace and understanding in our time".