PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2015, 18:31
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A ball will work in any attitude. Standard technique with air driven instruments is to monitor the ball and T&S when doing aerobatics so as to maintain a uniform pattern. I would say that two balls were useful because in the heat of battle one would like to have the final polish in his line of sight.

Are you sure that there would be no variable yaw effect in a dive? Irrespective of the rudder offset the torque on the engine is going to reduce as the airspeed increases at a constant power setting. The residual roll will be corrected by aileron which will induce yaw. Should this not be corrected then the aircraft will be pointing in a different direction than the line of flight.

As a lowly Pilot Officer I got into a severe argument with some senior navigators during my Valiant conversion course. The party line was that if a bomb was released by an aircraft in a turn the bomb would fly even further off target than it would have done before. I insisted that it would continue at a tangent to the circumference of the turn. My card was noted as being stroppy.

So they sent me to tankers instead of the Main Force.