PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accidents/Incidents at RAF Sek Kong
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2015, 17:03
Oldsarbouy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Huget, I was indeed the Winchop when we ditched Foxtrot in the South China Sea. We were heading out during a typhoon to go to the aid of a vessel, which turned out to be a hoax, when we lost an engine due to water ingestion from the heavy rain and salt spray,but managed to get it back. Shortly afterwards we lost both engines and KT carried out a perfect EOL, probably his finest landing ever, with not a drop of water in the cabin. The flot gear worked perfectly and TP, the Winchman, and myself were able to carry out a gentlemanly exit with the multi seat liferaft. Once clear we inflated the dinghy and, typically, it was upside down so we hung on the outside and were joined by KT. We decided not to try and right it due to the wind speed and rough sea as it would probably have ended up in mainland China. Meanwhile CN, the co-pilot, had gone under the nose, got caught up in the Homer aerials and finally emerged to see us about 30 metres away so he inflated his single seat dinghy and didn't attempt to join us.
Two more Wessex from the squadron arrived about 40 minutes later and we were recovered to the usual banter of "SAR Boys, w*****s"and taken back to Sek Kong and waiting spouses who had heard the news on the radio!
When we departed the scene Foxtrot was still afloat and heading for China complete with my aircrew watch! Happy days