PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Niugini's subsidiary - LINK PNG
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2015, 06:53
Sausage Stuffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain XXXX can count himself lucky he did not have a bloodier story to tell. Being in civvies they would have no idea that he was a PX Capt, which might have made them think twice about pursuing him, who knows.Its way back in the mists of last century now since I had any involvement there, but I remember there was a little bit of respect accorded the pilots. And F27s were exciting..

Maybe they have all adopted the chest beating anti paleface attitude. I did not say "anti-expat" because I am told that they do not consider Fijians, Tongans,Indians and the like being in the country and filling up good job vacancies-to be "expats." They are apparently o.k. Maybe they weren't guilty of "colonial practices" .
That was a management line told to me late last year when the PX contracts were being "negotiated"- I believe it was actually written by one of the national department heads involved.
"Expats" to them seem to mean nowadays -white Australian tasol.Kiwis would probably get a white hat as well.

I think the whole point about the Capt XXXX post is that no matter how many physical assets they have acquired --high rise buildings, new roads, flyovers, airport terminals,supermarket and whatever else they have built of late--if the criminals are disembarking from a police vehicle to ply their trade --they are still mentally and govern-mentally a type of 2.5 world banana republic.

Harsh? I think not. If your police force and defence force personnel are basically out of control, which has been proven by countless sordid incidents faithfully recorded by their own media over the years (thank you, internet) , then sori tomas ,that is a fact.

Politics aside, it is pretty clear now there is much better job value elsewhere if you are a pilot, or for that matter any other qualified person looking for a career.Better money, better living standards and workplace environment, and actual job prospects beyond a year or two.
PX even as a "stepping stone" now looks to be not worth the constant hassles and risks any more.A pity ,because my memories are all good--a place of tremendous natural beauty and lovely people.

Ive recently been told that the back-packer living that the Company is forcing on the pilots with the forced sharing of apartments with random partners is to continue for another year! If that doesn't break the camels back then the camel is missing most of its brain.Even a new Cadet has his own accommodation, so why should sharing be ok for senior Captains and F/Os?.

All the rumors(and that's what this website is about ,right?) I hear suggest that they don't care about their airline winding down too much.There is some quick buck fantasy (for a few big men I guess) involving privatisation coming "soon". How it will work is anyone's guess, but we can be sure it will be interesting,in the Chinese sense.

Good Luck Capt XXXX you have a good dinner time story to take with you now from the land of the unexpected--or as a late friend of mine used to say, "'the land of the expectorant"