PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAR 232...an Ausfly experience coming to you?
Old 31st Aug 2015, 23:27
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
An apology from a scaremonger

Having looked at all the posts and relevant materials, I realise that I should apologise for my scaremongering.

As anyone with any experience in the aviation regulatory regime in Australia knows, any guidance produced by CASA is almost invariably inaccurate and misleading.

I should have realised that CASA's guidance on ramp checks does not mean what it says. Despite the heading and content, CASA won't be asking GA PVT pilots for paper or electronic checklists from a check system approved by CASA. The CASA inspectors will know, just by looking, or will accept the pilot's assertion, that the operation is PVT, and will know about an exemption that's not mentioned in the guidance.

I should have realised that the answer to what the requirements are can almost never be answered by looking at the rules: the exemptions are the main regulatory game in Australia.

I should be thankful that the lawfulness of my PVT operations depends on an exemption, granted and revoked at the whim of the regulator.

I should have realised that all the rhetoric about outcomes-based regulations under which exemptions will not be required is just that: empty rhetoric. I should have realised that 28 years is nowhere near enough time to incorporate changes into CAR 232 - which was in the original 1988 regulations - to negate the need for yet another exemption and to make the narrow application of the check system requirements clear on the face of the rules.

Most importantly, I should have realised that almost almost everybody is so confused by the complexity that they just do their best to operate safely, and don't need more distraction and confusion from scaremongers pointing at the five different provisions and documents that you have to read to work out to whom CAR 232 applies and what CASA hopefully intended to say in its guidance.

And as anyone with any experience knows, the guidance will quietly be changed, without any version reference or record, and all of this will never have happened.

My apologies. Now, back to Stockholm and my well-learnt helplessness.

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 1st Sep 2015 at 00:34.