PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Niugini's subsidiary - LINK PNG
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2015, 20:37
olderairhead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just received the following - the Capt has handed in his resignation, he's had enough:

The following report was submitted by Capt XXXX today.
The facts speak for themselves.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
26th August 2015

XXXX – Set Up and Robbed by Police on the Way to the Airport

On the 25th August I drove to the airport at around 4:00 am to meet my wife who was arriving on PX 011 from Manila. As I reached the top of Burns Peak I met a police road block. They checked my driver’s license then let me proceed. As I got to the bottom of the hill near Waigani Drive I noticed a car coming up behind me. The car got on my tail and started following me. I was concerned because it was very early.
I began to drive faster in the hope the car would not follow however it increased speed with me. I then decided to drive as fast as I could to the airport in an attempt to escape the car. Just before I got to the airport the car cut me off. It was only then that I realised it was a police vehicle. Three or four men were in the car, two dressed in police uniforms.
One approached my car and demanded my licence. I gave it to him. He then said I was speeding. I tried to explain that I was only speeding because I was being followed and was not aware it was the police and that I was in fear of my life. He said I was under arrest and would be taken to Boroko police station. When I explained that I was at the airport to pick up my wife he said I could pay a fine or go to the police station. He demanded that I pay a fine of a 1000 kina or go to jail.
I told him I didn’t have 1000 kina but only 600 kina. He then demanded to see my wallet and then took an additional 300 Australian dollars. He then said I could pass through. I believe that I was set up as they did not identify themselves as a police while they were chasing me.