PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Vulcan riggers/XM558 riggers
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2015, 19:58
Ancient Squipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ex Vulcan riggers/XM558 riggers

During my time at Akrotiri (1972-1974) I serviced and repacked many LB54 Vulcan brake parachutes but as you know it was the job of you riggers to fit them to the aircraft .It had been the responsibilty of Safety Equipment Workers (SEW) (Now Suvival Equipment Fitters)to carry out this task . However due to restructuring of the SEW Trade in 1964 we no longer had the task of working on aircraft.
There had been a tragic accident (I think it was at RAF Waddington) a SAC had been helping to fit a chute and whilst attempting to close the spring loaded hatch by means of the approved closing tool. This tool comsisted of a threaded rod which had a hand wheel fitted to screw down the hatch until it locked shut. I was told that due to the fatigue failure of the tool attachment bracket the closing tool slipped or broke causing the hatch to spring open throwing the SAC to the ground when he later died from the resulting injuries.
I seem to remember that a rigger told me that the closing tool system had been replaced by a system which pulled the hatch closed by a cable system operated from beneath the aircraft. However I might be completely wrong as it was ove 40 years ago.
Could you guys please enlighten me Thanks in anticipation.