PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO to EASA PPL with <100 hours
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2015, 19:43
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would allow me to fly under the auspices of an FAA school registered in EASA/CAA, and build time while doing an IR, gaining hours and knowledge. Keep in mind, what with shift work and family commitments, I'll probably only be able to fly around two to five hours a month, anyway.
if youre not going to fly professionally, then i'd forget the IR. The requirements for an EASA IR are not as simple as just doing a bit of flying then passing a test. You'd need a multi engine rating for a start, 10 hours in something like a 109 or twin squirrel, thats after you have a certain amount of hours. Flying an hour or two every couple of weeks doesnt allow for that sort of expense, commitment. The IR is a 6 week full time course if you do it properly. An FAA IR will not automatically get you an EASA IR. Ive seen people try and have to do extra training that route.

If you want just a PPL(H) to fly in UK airspace, then i'd suggest doing it in UK on an R22 or H300 etc. Most schools wont let a low time ppl guy with minimal R22 time SFH one of their machines. Or at least if they have any sense they wont, unless its dual flying with a safety pilot.

As for the IR, once you have all the ticks in the boxes, you're looking at a 30k expense +

Think long and hard before embarking on this quest of yours. It may end up being a very expensive exercise in futility. If all you want to do is potter around the skies a few times in a B47 im sure an instructor would happily fly with you.