PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2015, 14:57
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not minimising the importance of the AAIB report when it comes out! Hopefully by then the pilot will have recovered and again hopefully he will have a detailed memory of the crash ? But that's not guaranteed!

With these sort of display aircraft the option for something small going wrong with disasterous results is horrifically shown in the thread on a Pitts fatal crash and that is a much slower aircraft than a fighter travelling at over twice the speed!

How would you prevent this happening again from an AAIB report ? It's unlikely you will other than raising the base of the display and giving the aircraft more space for something to go wrong and recover!

The other option is to take the aircraft further away over uninhabited areas but both of the above will water down the whole thrill excitement factor which attracts crowds in their thousands and will destroy the attraction of air shows

All the AAIB could do is discover a failure in the aircraft which lead or contributed to the crash so theoretically demand that part is replaced or renewed but somehow I doubt whether there will be anything earth shattering revealed which will make much difference other than regulations to water down these shows

This is not about why an aircraft crashed, it is about where an aircraft crashed.
Where the aircraft crashed has something to do with why the aircraft took that flight path. In a fast jet it covers a lot of ground very fast. If something goes wrong either mechanically or through the pilot it will still travel very fast but in the wrong direction in the same way that if you loose your car you maybe following a windy road but will probably take out a hedge and end up inverted in a field where you are not supposed to be!

Whether a busy road like that road should be open so close to an airshow is another question and one option would be to close it and divert traffic on an airshow day

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 31st Aug 2015 at 16:37.