PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects
Old 31st Aug 2015, 07:49
Rusty1983

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't think of a worse time to be training as a Helicopter pilot. The I industry is the slowest I have seen in 18 years.
Save your money and learn another skill until things pick up in a few years....that's if they ever pick up!
Hey Heliringer,

thanks for your realistic summary of the actual situation and the proposal for learning another skill.
But reading through different forums including the content of back to 10-15years threads, itīs always the same and it would not change in future. I have never read in a forum that there was a time where helicopter pilots were needed urgently, except some ads from training centers to grap newbies. But I know a few pilots who made their way and every way was different.

Saving money and learn other skills!?
Believe me, saving money is some of the worst things what you can do in an absolutely riskful world in which we live. Just look at the stock market, they play with your savings.
You have to invest the money and therefore you got 2 options in my opinion.
1.) Invest it in raising a family, building house most of the time with credits, get a save job propably you didnīt like and live the standard the financials and governments subtli forces you to live...or you
2.) invest it in new skills for your personal experience and sustainability and live then the life they want you to live, but with the satisfaction doing something you want to do. There is only one thing which could be never stolen by others and this is your education.

I would be with you, when a person would try to get helicopter pilot as his first job, but after 10 years working in the industry, I think there could be some chance to try the risk for building up a second basement on which you can imagine to live the rest of you life. Trust me, building up a second basement is not a quick decision, this is a process which takes over years.

BR, Rusty