PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 30th Aug 2015, 20:02
Dougie M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route Uniform

Hi Smudge
Things have changed these days with the "new" multi terrain combats but in the bad old days I was one of the protagonists of wearing flying suits to the accommodation and changing in comfort. A Belize trip would involve wearing blue to arrive at Gander and if you were carrying a disassembled Puma there were any amount of suppurating pipes to blotch the uniform whilst getting changed in freezing conditions down the back, mostly in the dark. Then on to Belize where it was K.D. and 35 deg C. The minging overalls were left draped all over the freight bay ready to be donned on the way back to Gander. Suitcases got smaller when that rule changed. I can't say that the folks in either place were that impressed with ill fitting No 2 HD in Canada or the multi coloured KD in Belize. Once we started to wear combats to fly in it all got much easier and now you can't find blue anywhere en route. If they sent us somewhere nice I'd wear mess kit to impress!