PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interested to be an Air Force Pilot
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2015, 11:58
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
KA:-
i still want to enjoy the beauty of flying.
I'm sure that all here who fly, or like me used to, can empathise with that. Air Forces though are not about that, they are for carrying out the will of a nation's (hopefully) democratically elected government by bringing force to bear upon its opponents. That, in short, can mean killing people.

The only reason that I say that is because I too had a desire to experience the beauty of flying and was fortunate enough to do so in my Air Force. It was only in training and as I grew older that the penny dropped, that the purpose of an Air Force, like all Armed Forces, is to go to war. Seems a rather pedantic point to make, I know, but one that should be made nonetheless.

I had no trouble with the concept, after all it would be my country's enemies that I would be fighting if need be, but you are looking to join another country's Air Force, indeed any Air Force that would take you it seems. Would you happily go to war for that country? I don't see how you can commit to that, but that is indeed what you would have to do unconditionally.

Think on.