PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet another Airshow Incident
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2015, 11:33
blakmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyguyfl
How could they conclude a glue bonding failure so quickly?
Actually this BEA report does not relate to a true adhesive bond failure, it relates to a fibre to resin failure. This indicates that the adhesive bond is stronger than the resin to fibre bond. This would indicate to me that there is a potential issue of incompatible resin and fibre materials selection, or inadequate storage management of the pre-preg materials prior to cure (maybe the resin was stored in a manner that advanced the cure to the extent that the resin failed to form adequate chemical bonds to the fibres?). In contrast, if the process did not use pre-preg materials, then there may be issues relating to the storage of resin components, mixing issues, methods for application of the resin, environment in which the materials were used, etc.

I have real issues with "kit" composite aircraft. I know of one case down under where the kit pre-pregs waited on the wharf for an extended period for the distributor to collect the kit, despite the horrendous shelf-life issues associated with the delay.

I would be interested to see the results of this investigation, but I stress that the BEA report was NOT actually a bonding issue.

Regards

Blakmax