PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2015, 17:58
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In this instance, I don't think it is unhelpful or unreasonable to observe that the aircraft was pitching throughout the recovery - therefore AH was providing a control input and g-loc CAN very reasonably be ruled out. Deduction, not speculation.
I'm not so sure it can. As both Courtney Mil and I have commented in earlier posts, G-LOC is insidious. Factors which can erode a human body's tolerance to G include fatigue, hangovers, minor ailments or recovering from them, medication to treat such ailments and whether or not the body in question has been adequately fed in the period immediately prior to the flight. Because of this the G-LOC may occur, not during the application of positive G force in a manoeuvre, but some time after it, when the peak G has passed. I have personal experience of this. It is entirely possible the AH may have suffered G-LOC at the top of his manoeuvre or as the Hunter's nose was well down. This is a plausible explanation for the apparent lack of pitching until it was, fatally, too late.