PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hidden Marketing - Data Collection
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2003, 15:48
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been forwarded to this thread having posted a new and separate complaint about Avenue A in another place. I apologise that I do not follow the Computer/Internet Issues area normally, because PPRuNe is a way to get away from the bloody things.

I notice that the issue of SpyBot immunisation only raised its head towards the end of the discussion. I have used all the products mentioned...AdAware, ZoneAlarm, SpyBot....and, for me, SpyBot with immunisation enabled works best.

I have it set to tell me whenever it intercepts a known pest (this option can be switched off, but I like to know which sites have an ethos to infect me) and it pops up an Avenue A alert every time I move pages in PPRuNe.

Like everyone else, I can say that I have no connection with SpyBot, I simply think that it is excellent. It is free, but the authors suggest that you might like to make a donation if you appreciate the software.

I read Danny's outburst at the start of this thread and I must say that it has a touch of the Alastair Campbell's about it. There is no question that PPRuNe is resulting in Avenue A infection. This is either because:
a) It is deliberate and to PPRuNe's advantage
b) It is accidental and there is nothing PPRuNe can do about it
c) It is accidental and PPRuNe could stop it if it wanted.

Surely, at the very least, we should be told which of the above is the case, and Danny, who we know to be a moderate and reasonable person, can then explain why things must or should be left as they are.

That's certainly all I am asking for.

W