PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales from Kai Tak - 15 Years On
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2015, 06:14
Ocean Person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White None:
This is just for you, let's call it an update on what I previously said. TWA senior captain Bob Buck wrote his entire professional flying life in his best selling autobiography “North Star Over My Shoulder”. On pages 389~390 he talks of the brotherhood of pilots who knew RW 13 at Kai Tak. Here is what he said: ------
Quote:
“ Part of the fun of Hong Kong was landing at Kai Tak Airport. The start of the runway that we’d approach for landing was shoved right up against the city, behind which were 1,500-foot hills, too high to come over and land straight in. So the approach was at a 90-degree angle, over water, away from the hills, toward an island called Stone Cutter. Beyond Stone Cutter, a hill rose that had big red and white checkerboard squares painted on it. So the procedure was to fly over Stone Cutter, descending, then aim at Checkerboard, continuing descent, then just before it make a hard right turn, almost an aerobatic maneuver; by now you were down to 300 feet or less, the tight turn taking you over stacked apartment-style living quarters with wash lines and drying clothes blowing in the wind off the balconies, close enough that you felt your wingtip might tear them off the lines. The runway swung into view, tilted sideways, but coming up level with your wings as you completed the turn; there it was, stretched out ahead and ready to accept your aircraft. After a long boring flight from Bangkok this stirred the blood and got you up on the edge of the seat – careful, but barnstorming with a Boeing 707, having old-style fun. That’s all gone now, with a new airport built away from these problems, just another dull airport with proper, boring approaches. But there’s a brotherhood of pilots who flew in and out of Kai Tak, and when any of us come together there’s lots of talk, tales, and laughter. “ Unquote.
His words and description but my sentiments. Convinced now ???

O.P.