PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Air Displays
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2015, 20:10
Alber Ratman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Vintage Jets and Hunter restrictions have come about due to two fatal crashes while display aerobatic manoeuvres were being performed. The CAA have good reason to suspect that the time has come to prevent any more before the results of the AAIB investigations. They have likely spoken to the AAIB already. The common denominator is two privately owned aircraft did not complete aerobatic displays, ao the CAA restrict operations until proof from the AAIB and review of the procedures. I don't think the CAA have much concern with the Military displays. The guys flying them practice multiple times daily for weeks before the PDA authorisation, currency is not an issue, maintenance of the frames is carried out exactly as the schedules of the OEM dictate, maintenance personnel are all professional and fully trained and there is effective authorisation. I have heard certain vintage jet operators say their frames are better maintained than normal aircraft.. If Normal aircraft are military or type certified civil aircraft, the CAA allow more dispensations for an intermediate complexity PtF jet. Its all written in the CAP. Of course airworthiness is not compromised at all, just not as restrictive as if the OEMs still existed. Personally, if maintenance issues are found by the AAIB as major causes, I will be surprised, but nothing can be ruled out.