PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2015, 17:07
Ka-2b Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my association with Hunters over 50 years ago I recall they were not permitted to fly inverted for more than a few seconds because the engine would flame-out due to fuel starvation. Something to do with the design of the fuel pumps I recall. While practicing for an air display S/L Max Bacon rolled inverted over the runway with the intention of doing an inverted loop, which he had already done successfully on previous practices. From my viewpoint in a building near the end of the runway he disappeared and suddenly there was silence followed by a double bang - apparently the engine had flamed out but at what precise point I could not see. He ejected at the top of the outside loop and the aircraft impacted the runway intersection with only the wings left visible. This happened at RAF Tengah, Singapore.
Just found this: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=58229 it appears I got the pilots name wrong, Perhaps Max was the CO of 20 Sqn at that time. It was a long time ago. This report implies there were 2 accidents but same aircraft and pilot involved!

Last edited by Ka-2b Pilot; 28th Aug 2015 at 17:20. Reason: Added more info.