PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Nationals being discriminated against?
Old 28th Aug 2015, 13:41
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"as far as I know no foreigner has succeeded in getting a place in the BA FPP"

I'm not sure about FPP but the old CEP scheme at BA had non-UK citizens on it. One I recall was a Danish young lady who made it clear that BA was her second choice and she would be jumping ship to DLH as soon as she could.

There are so many Dutchies at BA that I'm surprised there is not a requirement for non-Dutch crew to learn it (makes the conversational parts of long sectors more socially productive). One of the reasons for this is the relationship (not simultaneously) between the two big ATO's in the UK and an NL based 'virtual' training provider. I'm certain that courses through this provider are available to non-Dutch (I think they must be) however, I'm not aware of any that have got through selection if any have applied. Same for the other Dutch schools. It's an interesting dynamic - and one I think is probably lost on the British students who don't appreciate they are all competing for the same jobs but actually, may be disadvantaged in favour of non-UK graduates when applying for BA/EZY/RYR because of this 'arrangement'.

If you want an example of how the British have been treated within the EU, look at how KLMuk pilots seniority was acknowledged by the parent company when the airline was joined with KLC.

The basic truth is that if you are an EU citizen and you speak English to at least ICAO Level 4, and are suitably qualified technically, discrimination, positive or otherwise is unlawful within the EU. So all this talk of unfairness must be completely unfounded