PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Garside 1937-1963
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2015, 09:58
Haraka

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The photo in post #4 was taken by myself at the Farnborough Airshow 9th & 10th September 1972 and the pilot is indeed Flt Lt Russ Pengelly, he was the Lightning display pilot with Wattisham TFF during the period 1971-1972, sadly he was later killed whilst flying prototype Tornado P.08 out of Warton.
There were actually two RAF demonstration Lightning pilots at Farnborough in 1972 . Russ Pengelly and "Oscar" Wilde. I think the plan was for them to alternate.
During the immediate pre-show period I got together with Russ and arranged for him an air-to-air sortie with the RAE photo platform Hastings ( WD 480). Among the dozen or so photographers we had on board was Flight's Tom Hamill and subsequently Russ got on the front page of "Flight' rolling the Lightning around the Hastings's wing tip. Russ later got a letter from Bee Beamont enclosing a photo of Bee doing exactly the same with a P.1 in the '50's. Another shot from the Farnborough '72 sortie ( showing the gear down ) was published in Aeroplane Monthly in December 73.
For this trip Russ was flying a Lightning he brought to the show- a 23 Squadron Lightning F.6 XR 760.
IIRC Oscar may indeed have flown an F1 at the show as a preferred mount.