PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police aviation news, another 902 bashing!
Old 27th Aug 2015, 08:57
PANews

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I guess as this thread was 'named' after me I guess I should undertake at least one post in it before it fizzles and disappears.

It looks as if my text in the last issue was based on repeating 'iffy' information. Hands up on that and of course that 'error' will be covered in my report on the LAA purchase next month [after I have secured my severely dropped jaw].

But my reason for being here is to make mention of the other recent air ambulance purchase by very long term Explorer operator and champion [despite all] Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

Unable to sustain the MD Explorer any more - for every single reason given by the denigrators above - they have bought into the Airbus Helicopters H145 after at least two years research in which the recent front runners were only really the Bell 429 and the H145.

Would they have operated a new Explorer if they had been given the opportunity - probably. But that reaction is based on the perfect product that serves its purpose to be available on a daily basis and not a nightmare that often resulted in neither aircraft being available all too often.

It will be a more than a couple of years before they can see for sure that the H145 does what it says on the label on a daily basis but in truth MD do not even offer them the option of a new aircraft. All these 'new' Explorer's are simply more recycling.

In a year or so there may well be ten or so 'new' 902s for the air ambulance community to buy into as Yorkshire and NPAS get out of this marque.