PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wideroe and Norway in general
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2015, 08:15
Krautwald

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wideroe and Norway in general

Hi everybody.

My gf is about to secure a job in Norway. Which leaves me with some questions about the pilot market here. Language is learnable, manageable only by myself so no real questions here - do it or don't I guess. I know pay and conditions are generally very good, but what bothers me is the age problem. I am a late starter, in modular training, and from what I understand this is uncommon up there. I did not talk to pilots yet, but to several people of other professions and they told me that it is very common to select a career track already when choosing your highschool (technical, business, arts...even aviation related ones!). Is it correct to equal that into "early bird or no worm"?

This does not really sound too positive for a two-time career changer and self improver. Can anybody working in Norway tell me his/her insight and experiences with this, generally speaking? I am in my 30s now, and might at worst case scratch 40 when reaching the employable hours level.

Which leads to the next question: operators. At my age, making a steady jet gig is not a given (would be nice though). I am actually directing my career more towards prop businesses. Wideroe of course is a big player here, steady jobs and exciting flying environment. Are they among the companies that would employ a modular late starter? Do they prefer graduates from certain schools or TR courses? Any other operators I should look into given my circumstance?

Last one: Medical. Would my Gatwick Class 1 do or do I need a Norwegian initial when entering their job market? Or do they do company medicals? They are not an EU country, so whats the procedure here?

Many thanks already for reading!