PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 27th Aug 2015, 01:29
Flytdeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, at least you stopped calling me management.

Before we go through your points, I think it would be best to separate the issues between Qatar Living (including political and religious), Qatar Legal, and Qatar Airways. They all have up and downsides, just as anywhere.

Point 1/ Qatar Legal Issue. QR can indeed deny exit. To do so they only need to make a request to immigration. At that point it goes to the labour ministry if the reason for denial is not associated with contract, legal or monetary infringement At that point a hearing is held (time sensitive though can't remember how long) and if the denial does not fall within the immigration parameters, it is removed. Different system. QR cannot operate here without impunity as unreasonable actions reflect badly on the Monarchy.

If you are relating an actual story then I would like to hear the details.

Point 2/ Qatar Living: It is illegal to withhold passports. This is a long standing problem here but a few companies and their owners have been dragged through the courts. It still happens but not as much. The foreign general workers here are treated marginally better than migrants from Mexico in the USA. With the World Cup coming in 2022 and the inherent scrutiny from foreign nations, there is likely to be an improvement. This is Qatar Living and it is a nasty part of living in this part of the world. One must remember that the workers CHOOSE to be here and now have recourse if mistreated (including returning home prior to contract completion).
Expanding on this. Qatar is a terrible place for blue collar workers, especially construction during the summer. Would not recommend taking one of these jobs.

Point 3/ Qatar Living: There have been mines collapse in China, factories explode in Russia, fires in nightclubs in USA, rooftop garages collapsing in Canada. If your point is that Qatar has industrial accidents, sure. And fires. There are 2,300,000+ people living here and on any given day the number of industrial accidents likely compares to most other countries in the world.

You are quite right. For the management positions are not very stable. For the rest of us, we are just fine and "continuous". As mentioned previously (and has been stated in point form in previous messages), as long as working conditions improve then they can shift the management as much as they want (as long as they leave the safety team alone).

So I was right about Qoolaid....

Newbies know this is not a perfect place. From the very start of this thread there is enough information to do the research and make an informed decision. One more time, read the Black Pudding message then make the decision. Most of us are quite content here and I propose that most who come here will be too. As in ANY country, there will be "gotchas" as asking the questions and doing the research will help you avoid them. Sure be cautions about moving here but being paranoid is just an indication one has consumed too much .. Qoolaid.