PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedural matters
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2015, 20:51
Citation2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion MHA is based on a speed , radius of turn to ensure obstacle clearance . In that particular case 245 kts as a maximum speed in a hold will involve a larger area therefore MHA of 5910 feet.

Regarding the procedure it says max speed of 205 kts , to reduce the radius of turn and stay in the defined protected area of the procedure . As a general rule , descent is only allowed once inbound within half scale.

So if you were in a hold at 245 kts definitely you cannot descent to 4930. While starting the approach inbound course 037 with a speed of not more than 205 , there is a segment of the procedure that coincides with the hold but you are not in a hold anymore , its just a segment overlaying the hold with a waypoint to fly AT 4930.

Now , Heading or radial when outbound in hold?
Generally the outbound leg of a hold is flown in heading and is not limited or defined by a radial. So I have to assume that the outbound leg depicted here is just the procedure and not the hold . If I had to hold , I will be outbound on heading 037 and not radial 037 from FQG.

This could explain a higher altitude for the hold.

When being cleared for approach I will intercept radial 037 outbound from FQG and descend to 4930 once inbound .

What do you think?

Last edited by Citation2; 26th Aug 2015 at 21:15.