PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2015, 14:54
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My first assesment concerning the maneuver flown was, that it was a 1/4 of a clover leaf. After looking at the published graphs with the probable flightpath on this thread and the ongoing discusssion I offer another version for discussion. I asked myself, what kind of maneuver would I do at that point, and came up with neither a loop nor a 1/4 Clover leaf, I would have done just a low pass along the line. But the task might have been not to cross the A27 at that low altitude, requiring a pullup followed by a descent and some small heading change. I would have done a Barrel Roll type maneuver there, but never a 1/4 Clover Leaf.

I watched some videos from former displays of A.H. in the hunter and Jet Provost on youtube, all available on a google search, and observed most repositionings were performed by some Barrel Roll type maneuvers. I found none pure Clover leaf type maneuver, but that might also be due to the fact, that the top of such maneuver is the point farthest away from the action and thus not recorded or edited out of the clip.

In the assumed flightpath the Jet comes in low and fast, turns somewhat to the right and pulls up, like the initial part of a Barrel Roll to the left. At that point prior pullup the airfield might be hidden behind the tree line. For a Barrel Roll type positioning the turn to the pullup point was too late, which the pilot might have recognized during the pullup. In order to reduce the forward travel he took the maneuver higher and further off to the left and ended slow on top, way off the final course and unprepared for the following descent. The reorientation to the intended flightpath while still inverted lead to an unplanned and unsafe increase in descent rate.

But sure it is pure speculation from my side. I have never flown the Hawk, all my flight time is in Phantoms.