PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2015, 14:17
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by HDRW
Bear in mind that descending over that road is what every aircraft landing on 20 (I think!) will do.
I suppose one will have to put a stop to that as well.

@henry_crun: the point of the video you posted seems to be that AH was an experienced display pilot.

@ASRAAM: some good points that got me thinking. The 5500' ceiling/limit has been mentioned quite a bit during this discussion. I would take as a given that all of the display pilots for that day would know that limit in advance, and would plan their maneuvers with that limitation very much in mind -- busting such limits would be apparent to any radar operator on the day and brought the kind of attention one prefers to avoid.

@rideforever: The above leads me to the conclusion that the maneuvers for this display were planned within that constraint, as well as all other limitations, and determined to be achievable within the rules for display flying. The orientation of the maneuvers tend to be based on where the display audience is. (I have some very small experience with pre-planning (I was assisting) for airshows at air stations, which included airspace constraints as well as "no go areas" on the ground).

@MachineBird: g-limits without a suit vary. When I learned aerobatics initially, I wasn't as good at dealing with 4g's as I became with more experience. The question you raise on possible g-loc will doubtless be pursued by the AIB. Hopefully there is enough evidence for them to arrive at a finding regarding that possible cause factor.

@Jazbag (and others interested): over on the Military Aircrew Forum, BEagle made some comments on manual reversion.

@CourtneyMil: that long post from your friend might benefit from being edited to all italics, or being in a quote box. It initially was difficult to discern "whose voice was on the radio frequency." I had to go back to the beginning and find the transition point from your voice to the beginning of your friend's discourse.