PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons not to apply for emirates airlines
Old 26th Aug 2015, 06:48
Dookie on Drums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my case I would say do not apply but my situation is different from anyone else's. It is up to one's circumstances at the end of the day.

I unfortunately fell for the trap the recruitment team laid down for me promising me this, that and the other 2 years ago.

I had just over 8500hrs TT with 6,500hrs being on Boeing narrow and widebody aircraft at the time I was interviewed. During the selection process I felt great being buttered up by HR at every turn and of course I was very happy to be given a start date by EK.

As soon as I landed in Dubai it fell to pieces. Again, before I continue, this was MY experience.

No transport, waiting over an hour after a 15hr flight in the wee morning hours for some transport to my accommodation...."We appreciate you joining EK so we will fast track your allotted accommodation....you will be in a hotel for a maximum of 2 weeks!! True is our word!!"

Bullcrap. As soon as I arrived they had me booked in for at least 8 weeks. Not a problem for some but a problem for my circumstances and me. Again, this is my experience.

I came from a very decent and respected airline previously with a very good Check and Training background. I only left for EK for adventure and career progression. Things were evidently a mess from the word go.

On the first day: Who are you? Why are you here? Once that passed, I was sitting amongst other new recruits from around the globe. It became clear that some were VERY grateful to be sitting at the round table whereas I was happy but also mindful of my own attributes. I was the most experienced (arguably) there but I have also been very humble in life.

I happened to run into a chap from Brazil that day. “I was supposed to be on the B777 but after 3 days they changed me to the A330” You’ve been warned.

Then again, there was a guy on my course with only Airbus experience (5000hrs) and he was put on the B777! He never even saw the inside of a Boeing before!

The next few days were busy with the admin side of things…no one was really expecting us here and there despite our bookings from our schedule. We were excited if they were expecting us!

Unfortunately, nothing was prepared for my arrival. My details didn’t match the IT department, security,transport etc.

Furthermore, the Flight Crew Licensing division (or whatever they are called now) when they came to verify our Logbooks etc treated us with the utmost contempt. I am in my late 30’s and the eldest of our group and did not appreciate that one bit at all.

Funnily enough, the next day I was in HR completing some paperwork where I was pulled aside and asked my opinion of the previous day. I quickly noticed she had been sitting in the background in the previous day.

Not one to mix my words I told her what I thought about my treatment thus far especially from the day before.

She actually agreed with me while observing this behaviour.

Moving on,

Training begins…threats begin.

I honestly can’t remember if the guy was the Deputy CP at the time or whatever title he gets himself off of but to go around a table and query the hours of everyone and then with hand on heart then say he has triple the hours of me and how exceptional a pilot he was, it was sickening. I can go on but I won’t.

The training was ****e. I am sure it’s not the case in general but for me it was. Instructors under training with TRE’s half asleep not giving a frig about anything because they were retiring soon. I even had to pull the manual out to verify I was correct in arming the hydraulic pumps once given clearance to do so! Arguments between the trainee and TRE and us with regards to Memory Items! Some TRE's even told me with my experience I am better off going to Qatar. These are TRE’s telling me this whilst supposedly training me for EK!

ALL and I mean ALL questions were freely available to pass the exams. No study required.

Moving on….my check to line flight was a joke. Smooth sailing until my return to Dubai where my Capt intervenes as I am PF, takes over and makes a complete balls up of the approach resulting in a GA. I’ve been around long enough to know I didn’t need to be relegated of my control of the aircraft.

Flawless until then. I am then failed. Then called into the office on my day off for a please explain.

I actually do the polite thing and come in at my expense to attend this unusual tea and bikkies. Needless to say, I booked myself out of there and handed in my resignation. I am not big headed but I know what's right and wrong as I have been around the world.

I was gobsmacked at the obvious pitfalls and downfalls there.

Upon returning to my country I was then told that EK had slandered my character.

That was fine as my new employers ignored it but it told me what type of company EK were.

I am now happy being back home working for less money, but also having a lifestyle with my wife and children and flying 400hrs a year.
So, be wary. This again was MY experience so yours may be much better. Tread with caution and question everything that is said.

In fact, I am already approaching the media, publishers etc for a best seller. They have no control over me despite what their little minds might think.

Last edited by Dookie on Drums; 26th Aug 2015 at 09:09.