PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2015, 06:36
skyship007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Mine Gott, this thread really has got some real corkers for comments:

AFTER BURNERS: Not possible with the early jets of a similar type and I doubt if the CAA would allow their use anyway (On a civil reg) due to the fire risk along the runway edges and the risk of running out of fuel if they stick on.

DROP TANKS: The Hunter might be able to carry them when doing military ops, BUT they are not allowed on a civil reg jet unless you have a special permit for a delivery flight. In insurance terms they are regarded in the same way as a live bomb, which they can be if you press the wrong switch in flight!

EXPERTS: No aviation accident related experts I know will comment to the press or a forum without money up front and the amateurs talking here and in the press are just just playing with themselves as usual. A right squadron of winkers!

PS: It is legal to drop pure water on the public if the type certificate or approved ops manual has the dump system defined as water ballast, BUT there are specific height limits to avoid a knock down issue. I use 1000 agl for misting a fire (General wide area damp down operation to stop another flare up) depending on aircraft type and dump valves (You open the fill scoops rather than the bomb bay doors if it's an Amphib water bomber). It can even be done IFR if required with the correct GPS start and stop figures.
In the early days I won a bet with a rich chap (US air display, IFR approach due low cloud base) when my ground crew chaps bet him several grand that it would rain in a few minutes time, which it sure did as I dumped right across his GPS fix!