PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 20:16
Captain Kirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CM - I think your indignation is misplaced. If AH was the only casualty I would agree with you entirely that any premature comment is insensitive and unnecessary. But he wasn't. And scrutiny will encompass all factors, to include, sadly, those aspects that we all hope are proven to be unfounded. But I'm afraid that your reluctance - indeed refusal - to contemplate human error is clouding your objective assessment of what evidence is already available, incomplete though it may be. Before I found myself saying that Capt Brown was making stupid and unsubstantiated comments, I might question what he had seen that I had missed...

I do, however, agree with you insomuch as I wish that we did not have to endure what definitely is wild speculation from those who are not qualified, in any shape or form, to comment - much less give them the oxygen of publicity and, with it, apparent authority. The public - and decision makers - will not be able tell the difference. But it was ever thus so there is no point in getting too bent out of shape. And hence my view that some authoritative statements need to be released early - earlier than normal perhaps.

I'm going to sign off now, but you are actually drawing more attention to the very issue that you are seeking to suppress. I genuinely hope that my own conclusions - which I have no intention of posting - are proved to be wrong, or at least incomplete. But I very much doubt it because they are based upon a clinical assessment of the indisputable facts to steadily rule out the least likely occurrences, allied to professional experience - which, incidentally, includes an insidious but total loss of thrust in a Hunter. And, sadly, I have had some practice at joining the dots in similar circumstances, so this is not 'wild speculation'.

Beam me up...