PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 16:13
DespairingTraveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a little puzzled as to why so many people are subjecting the loop graphic originally posted by ETOPS to such forensic examination, apparently to determine the pilot's intended manoeuvre and motives.

ETOPS can speak for himself, but as far as I can see, the graphic originated on the BBC News website - and was probably intended to be illustrative to a lay audience rather than analytical.

But in any case, why is everyone assuming that the path as flown had a pre-planned purpose? Rolls, cloverleafs, passage this way and that way down the show line, etc.?

At this point, AFAIK, there is no information in the public domain either as to the state of health of the pilot at the critical time, or the mechanical state of his aircraft. It is entirely possible that the exact path flown is no more than a best attempt to salvage a flight that had already gone horribly wrong for whatever reason.

I find the compulsion of many people to treat a tragic accident as a sort of online puzzle increasingly disturbing. Sudden death shouldn't be an excuse for amateur hour, or a source of light entertainment for the uninvolved.

The wreckage is available, and hopefully Mr Hill will survive and provide information as to what went on. The cause will be determined by competent, informed authorities in due time, and at that point sensible conclusions can be drawn.