PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 14:25
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Indeed, Basil!

Captain Kirk,

Your subtle change of direction there makes all the difference.

Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
but the basic physics of why this ac came into contact with the ground can be deduced by those with adequate experience.
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
there is enough evidence (and it is evidence) to discount many of the wild (deliberate attempt to land) and not-so-wild (g-loc) theories circulating and to narrow the LIKELY cause, notwithstanding contributory factors which are always harder to determine
It is your initial claim that the cause of the accident can be deduced from the video that I totally disagree with. Your new statement that the video can (help to - my inserted words) discount causes is much more reasonable. And it is because the video alone is insufficient to determine the cause (rather than help to discount them) that we must wait for all the facts. "As for all the facts" in your words.

Have you actually been a part of an accident investigation?
One accident investigation and one incident BoI as President. In the latter case I spent weeks exploring the limits of extracting evidence from photographic material; that evidence was amazingly fruitful, but eventually only served to point me in the direction of the hard evidence.

Edit to add: I agree about "Indeed, some early, measured and informed comments to the media might have spared us the 'he was going too fast and had to put it down on the A27' nonsense!". Someone involved with the show or those investigating it making an official statement may have helped to put some balance into the whole thing. I doubt there could have been many solid answers, but at least a stated position and an explanation of how the recovery and investigation would go forward. Sadly, I suspect the press would still have gone after the "experts" for something more sensational.

Last edited by Courtney Mil; 25th Aug 2015 at 14:55.