PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 14:21
Kitiara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree Weeeee.

There are transport corridors crossing the approach to many many airports in the UK. At the airfield I fly from (Cambridge), the approach to rwy 23 crosses the A1303 (60m separation) and the approach to rwy 05 crosses one of the busiest minor roads in the area (again 60m separation), and the railway line (170m).

Aviation is in the position, however, of having an extremely high profile granted to accidents. This is possible only because of the rarity of those accidents. So, in one way, aviation is a "victim" of it's own safety record. We can afford to put the degree of effort into accident analysis and prevention because of it's inherent safety.

I wish we could apply the same degree of safety management to road traffic. According to the insurance industry, the average driver has a crash once per 17.9 years. That works out to the average driver having 3 car accidents in their lifetime. The scale is different. We don't apply the same standards to road transport because we cannot afford it.

None of that means that we should scale back on aviation. The CAA and the AAIB have their jobs to do and they generally do them well. Was the ban on vintage aircraft performing high energy manouvers driven in part by public relations - almost certainly. Was it justified - almost certainly. That I don't know the full background to the CAA's decision doesn't detract from my confidence in them and their decision making processes. Like it or not, public confidence is, always has been and always will be a factor that they need to consider.