PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 25th Aug 2015, 14:15
SamGuichelaar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice?

Hi everyone,

Like many others here, I am looking to become a pilot. It's the only realistic thing I can see myself doing in 20 years and still enjoying it.

I have been looking on this and many other forums for the better part of two months now, and still don't know exactly what the best course of action would be for me.

I thought this didn't fit in any other thread, so I'm sorry if it does.

First, let me tell a bit about myself,

I am a Dutch 19 year old guy, who has been interested in Aviation ever since I was 4.

I have the Medical clearance I need, my knowledge of the English language is enough and my Math skills are sufficient too.

I joined a local air club when I was 12 and spend about 30 hours in single engine Cessna's. I do not have a high school physics degree, but if it's required I will get it within a few months.

I don't want to fly airbus, or any other plane with a sidestick. Eventually I would like to fly a 747, after a few years of flying smaller aircraft. I'll fly anything from a turboprop to a bombardier to a regular 737. (I'd even fly old soviet stuff if I got the opportunity) I don't really care if I fly cargo or passengers. I just want to fly a multiengine aircraft.

I am looking to join a pilot training outside of the Netherlands, because we are amongst the most expensive countries when it comes to pilot training, and I just want to get away from here.

Basically, I'm looking for a pilot training in the US, Australia, New Zealand, or Europe.

Someone suggested I should go to the US, get an FAA license and convert it to EASA, but basically every post on this forum discourages this approach.

Another person told me to get an ATP(A) at Ibertour in Spain, for about €38.000, but again, this forum wasn't too positive about this training.

So far what I would like most, is to get an EASA license in the Scandic countries, or get an license in New Zealand/Australia. Obviously, I want this to be as cheap as possible, but I also understand cheap often means low quality in the aviation industry.

I can get an KLM Academy pilot training (+loan) in the Netherlands for €120.000, and if this is the best course of action, I will do that, but I have to believe there are cheaper ways to get that holy piece of paper.

So summing up, I want to get an EASA or the New Zealand/Australian equivalent, to fly any multi engine aircraft, no matter if it's cargo or passengers. Preferably I would like the pilot training to be modular. (Integrated if airlines REALLY do prefer it)

I would join the RAF, but only 1 in 73 people get hired at the moment so I'm not betting on it.

Is there anyone who can give me any advice in any direction? I'm a bit lost...