PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 13:47
Captain Kirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtney - I didn't say that the video presented all of the facts but it certainly reveals enough to determine the basics; indeed, you very helpfully list most of them, but actually not all. Some things cannot be discounted and any additional evidence is always helpful. However, it is often the case that ALL of the facts are never determined beyond question - and reasonable judgement upon the most likely sequence of events is made by people with relevant experience. Some members of these forums have that experience - most do not. Some of the comments on here are misleading and unhelpful - and unprofessional - but then this is a largely unregulated forum of, mostly, amateurs. So I recommend that you stop attempting to be the arbiter of accident investigation procedures or to police the internet. Have you actually been a part of an accident investigation? Incidentally, I also acknowledged that some engine failures are not obvious, so please do not attempt to score a point with a selective quote.

Trust me when I say that there is enough evidence (and it is evidence) to discount many of the wild (deliberate attempt to land) and not-so-wild (g-loc) theories circulating and to narrow the LIKELY cause, notwithstanding contributory factors which are always harder to determine. What the video does NOT show is valuable too but I'm not going to spell that out for you.

The indisputable fact of this accident is that AH (whom I know and respect) ran out of height. How and why will form the basis of the investigation.

I know your motives are good Courtney and that you generally post good sense, but your protestations in this instance are not (wholly) justified. Having complete tosh spouted by that clown on the BBC is downright irritating of course, but given the inevitable scrutiny that an accident of this nature will attract, neither is it appropriate to try and draw a cloak of secrecy across the event, as we were once inclined to. Indeed, some early, measured and informed comments to the media might have spared us the 'he was going too fast and had to put it down on the A27' nonsense! I'm not attributing blame - and neither will the AAIB incidentally - I have just discussed some of the more obvious features of this accident - features which may be seen in a different context after a full investigation but which will not themselves change. This is, after all, a forum for discussing aviation related issues...

Last edited by Captain Kirk; 25th Aug 2015 at 14:22.