PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Join the Navy - not if I can't log on to Facebook"!
Old 25th Aug 2015, 13:46
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
The Royal Navy seem to have gone soft. I say, bring back the rum ration, keel hauling & the lash (Well, maybe not the lash, some pay good money for that) - Flight Idle

It seems more likely that it's not so much the Navy, but the youth of today who have gone soft, with the inevitable knock on effect. Nevertheless, Flight Idle's solution might boost recruiting - with flogging optional of course....

Curiously enough, I recall that, umpteen years ago, when I was standing my first ever watch as Officer of the Watch, a furious leading hand appeared on the bridge with four junior sailors in tow whom he wished to be charged with gambling, since he had found them playing cribbage for pennies.

In his own words, "When I joined the Navy, Sir, it was rum, bum and baccy, now it's Schweppes, self abuse, and Silk Cut, but gambling I cannot stand"!

Actually I'm not too sure that I want FB deprived youngsters with their fingers on the nuclear trigger. - Bollotom

Fortunately, it's only the CO and the XO who do.

Jack