PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 11:45
athonite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's interesting that wingswinger mentions medical fitness and combining displaying with jets with a career as an airline pilot. Perhaps flight time limitations need to include display flying, I know this will not be popular. On the other hand the general public and CAA expect the crew of a commercial jet to be rested under flight time limitations, so equally the public should have the same expectations of a display pilot.

Likewise, should display pilots be required to hold or have held a professional pilots qualification (ATPL/RAF wings). I refer of course to the Hurricance that crashed previously at Shoreham, the Pilot (age 49) held a PPL no evidence having been trained in aerobatics, and oddly only a class two medical. Likewise there is a JP3 display pilot in the UK, with 500 hrs on jets, who also claims to have displayed the Hunter T7, again on a PPL, medical unknown. I'm not sure if this was the pilot involved in the Southport/Blackpool JP near accident? Unless I have my facts wrong, I find this a bit worrying as I would expect a 1500 hours of flying fast jets for a display pilot. Likewise in the case of the recent Gnat accident, the Pilot wasclaimed to be ex RAF, but never progressed onto an OCU, again I'm doubtful of his experience to display.

The display pilots on the Hunter for this season were aged 51 and 61, and I'm assuming held a class one medical. I just wonder how much is known about G-LOC in older pilots, when it's not unknown in young and very fit RAF pilots, such as in the Red Arrows accident. Without doubt both the Hunter T7 pilots are highly experienced, and much has been made of the pilot in the accident as being an ex-Harrier pilot. But, if he is a BA captain, based on seniority this must have been some time ago (15 years +) since he regular flew fast jets.

Finally, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned on this thread the L29 display accident near Manston, where the aircraft also failed to recover from a loop. The Pilot was 61, he has flown in the Red Arrows but that was I think back in the seventies. I wondering if at the time if this flagged up any warnings, did the AAIB or CAA considered the effect of G on pilots as they become older?

Last edited by athonite; 25th Aug 2015 at 12:00.