PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using v/s in initial climb
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2015, 10:49
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are often many ways of achieving similar results and the aircraft manufacturer has acknowledged this by giving you options. Don’t be a microwave operative - be a chef!

Oh that the CP, DFO & HOT would let you. Today there are too many SOP operators and not enough knowledgeable pilots. Too many believe there is only one method of operation, and when that seems not the best idea have no idea of the alternative options. They never were taught properly how the a/c and its systems were designed.
e.g. I once flew for an operator whose SOP on G/A was to fly manually until flaps up. On a real nasty night, heavy rain, turbulence, no radar, NPA and low MAA I made a G/A and engaged A/P PDQ as we were above minimum A/P engagement height. In a relaxed manner we cleaned up, I spoke to ATC (quicker) to ask for a non-standard routing to avoid weather and we climbed out clear of the mess into safe air and a safe area. The F/O was fully occupied with PM/PNF-ing. In the hold he asked "if we were 'allowed' to engage the A/P before flaps up?" My reply was, "did it engage? and do you think it was a good idea in the testing circumstances?" A pause, and thought, and a "yes, so why don't we do that every time?"
Ah, you're asking the wrong bloke. Know your a/c and use it wisely to achieve required task. There are various methods to succeed in that, all within the design envelope.

Last edited by RAT 5; 26th Aug 2015 at 09:06.