PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your route?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2015, 23:07
skyship007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Old way vs new way

OLD WAY:
Air Cadets flying scholarship (PPL)
Sponsored by OATS (Oxford) for everything (I drove a truck during the night to fund the 150 hrs required for an assistant instructors rating, so I could apply for the OATS scheme).
Hamble was shut at the time and I didn't not want to sign up for 8 years minimum, so BA and the RAF were not options.
I survived 5 years instructing at Oxford and then left to be a flight test P2 for a new company.
The rest is history, BUT I never even thought of applying for a bank loan.

NEW WAY:
Read the flying mags and turn into a dreamer.
Then talk your parents into underwriting a massive loan, OR sign up as a cadet (Nearly as expensive) and then once you realise you don't like flying for peanuts, jump ship and declare yourself bankrupt after you default on the training bond.
Return home to find your parents have been given an eviction notice and one of them is planning to move into an old peoples home (The NHS will send you the bill), that they thought you would pay for!

PS: This stock market issue will effect the market for pilots and although the fuel will stay cheap, some of the airlines will go bust due to lack of passengers and cargo. Their pilots will then head for the EU and US, IF they can speak English, resulting in more P2F and P2type schemes!

I really thought the jobs situation was improving, but the recent stock slide will knock out a number of the less well financed airlines, just when things started looking up.