PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using v/s in initial climb
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2015, 16:02
CanadianAirbusPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I typically will leave the airplane in an Open Climb and disengage the A/THR (whether with AP on or off). I find sometimes (especially when light - changing from a very high vertical speed) the airplane will hunt around for speed control after dialling back the v/s thus having many annoying power changes.

On the bus, generally I (and some that I fly with) will climb at greendot until we are above noise abatement altitudes. From there we can turn enroute faster. If we will level off I hold green dot for a bit longer until about 2-3000 feet until my cleared altitude (depending on weight/climb performance). At that point selecting managed speed (typically 250) the v/s will drop to accelerate. I will disconnect the A/THR at that point so that when the plane thinks it wants to increase pitch again to keep the 250 it maintains the current v/s. At 2000 feet I start reducing thrust to target 1000 fpm at 1000 feet to my cleared altitude.

This method seems to always work regardless of turbulence/wind shifts (where the a/thr starts over controlling the thurst.)

If we require a shallow climb rate at a constant speed, if its a smooth day and the A/THR/AP works well then ill let it do it's thing. If the autopilot is hunting around for the right speed ill take it over just to smooth things out.

On those dark and dirty nights where you have lots to worry about - I care a bit less of pax comfort let the airplane do it's thing and let us worry about the more pressing issues.