PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Creamie
Thread: Creamie
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2015, 15:56
26er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst not actually being a "creamy" I might as well have been.

In 1951 I was demobbed from 229 OCU after two years national service. Five months later I rejoined the RAF and reported to Adastral House for posting instructions, to be asked what I wanted to do. I replied "fly Meteors as a fighter pilot". My man wandered off down the corridor and came back to say "go to South Cerney for 143 CFS course on Prentices and Meteors". At this stage my experience was 320 hours.

So I completed the course and went for my final interview with the Commandant, Air Cdre Selway, and the chief instructor, Gp Capt Coles. They shuffled through my files and said that they couldn't find anything about my initial interview at CFS. I explained that I'd not had one but had been posted there even though I wanted to be a fighter pilot. "Wait outside" they said. Eventually I was recalled to be told that CFS select their students and only as I had completed the course and was a B1 category were the prepared to make this exception. I'd have been happy if it had gone the other way. So it was off to an AFS to instruct on Meteors.

So there I was teaching all ranks from sergeant to group captain (it was nice too be addressed as "sir" by a senior officer student, which was the rule in those days). One afternoon (I was just 22) I found one of my students of the same age crying his eyes out. He told me his parents were divorcing. I judged him unsafe to fly at that time so though he didn't want it I phoned the OC Flying Wing and dropped the problem in his lap. I knew some of my limitations!

I learned a lot about flying and a little about life on that tour. Eventually when I left the Service at age 38 I was still a B1 instructor (there had never seemed to be a need to recat), was the wing standards officer at an OCU and still qualified on Meteors. Nobody told me that my instructional technique was crap though it may well have been.