PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any jobs in Asia so I can skip US regionals?
Old 24th Aug 2015, 11:01
MagicCarpet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do it

Mostly useless off-topic answers so far, so let me clear this up. You asked about Asia, not the Indian subcontinent or the middle east, so here’s the deal.

Yes, you can do it.

Look at A320 low cost operators who hire FOs and also do upgrades. In Hong Kong look at Hong Kong Airlines or in Singapore try Tiger, SilkAir, or Jetstar. Most hire low time FOs and upgrade them. Some do not, eg Korean hires FOs but doesn’t upgrade, they hire DECs (street captains) instead, so don’t bother. Forget Cathay or Dragon air if you’re in it for a quick upgrade. Forget China too due to no upgrades, and Thailand since they usually don’t hire foreigners, but there are a lot of other countries in the area so do some digging. Pilot Career Centre dot com is a good place to start and always has a link to the pilot hiring page of each airline. Some jobs come through contract agencies.

Yes, there are Asian airlines who will train you without charging you for your type rating. On pprune P2F means pay to fly, or pay for your type rating, to be avoided in my opinion. Most airlines make you sign a “bond” (training contract) same as US that says if you leave early you have to pay back a portion, but if you stay 3 yrs or whatever, you pay nothing.

A ton is 1000 kg out here, not 2000 lbs, so when an airline has a 10T experience minimum, it’s 22,000lb, not 20,000 lb etc.

Asia is fun, the people are mostly good, and you can always go back so give it a try and don’t let posers drag you off topic on these message boards. Go for it.