PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible career change as a woman at age 34
Old 24th Aug 2015, 10:36
Foxcotte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATCWAG

If you're willing and able to take the gamble, go for it!!! I changed my career from computers to flying in my early 30s too and I've never regretted it once. I had the added incentive of having a partner already ensconced in aviation but even so, I got hooked on flying and couldn't stop.

However, a few things to consider ... it is still largely a man's world, and you have to be better, more resilient, and more independent to beat them at their own game. There seems to be three basic types of female pilot, one the endless co-pilot (amiable, nice enough but no-one is really going to release her solo), the independent weirdo (odd, capable, but doesn't fit in the scheme of things), or the survivor who "makes" aviation work for her, and will beat the boys at their own game. Choose which one you are mostly likely to be, and set your aims accordingly.

Lastly, flying in Africa is unbelievably unique, but if you want to get a thorough training, consider going elsewhere for one of your ratings - I'd recommend the USA if you can afford it, just to see the scale of aviation there. Its eye opening - and whatever you do, don't get stuck in a rut of accepting local oddball ideas/procedures/habits as the normal. Its too easy to end up regionally weird. Keep sharp, keep up-to-date, keep learning and reading.

And for your family, warn them how all-consuming aviation can become, and how most jobs will take over your life (and theirs). its not an easy position for them to be in either.....