PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2015, 09:54
sharpend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trim Stab
Sharpend - I suggest you read Satellite Driver's excellent post 121.

He points out very succinctly (and reiterated by others on this thread) that this accident was different in that people have been killed who had no connection with the airshow and who were therefore not deriving any benefit or pleasure from it.
I agree with most of what Satellite Driver has written. Yes, the spectators are at an airshow by choice; the general public going about there normal day-to-day business are not. But my point was that there is risk in everything, but do we ban everything? I take the point about innocents being killed, but the average motorway pile-up normally takes out many innocent drivers. Incidently, motorway pile-ups are far more frequent than airshow disasters. We just have to weigh up the risks; the benefits versus the danger. Flying itself is dangerous, but less dangerous that driving a motorcar, so I personally take that risk and fly my aeroplane. However, my flying might result in an innocent being injured or worse. That applies to all forms of transport, so do we ban everything?