PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible career change as a woman at age 34
Old 24th Aug 2015, 01:14
B Sousa
Gatvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATCWAG
Many things to consider. When I hear"Im investing everything I have saved, it bothers me." Because odds are you will get nothing back other than being able to pay to fly.
May I suggest that you consider for the time being to get a PPL and enjoy some flying in your part of the world. Then if you find that you like it, continue.
Having, at one time, a Validated FAA license in South Africa, I can truly say the headaches you will have to go through are a bit archaic and they get very expensive.
Others will say move on ,get that ATPL license, shoot for the stars. Im a realist. A license will cost you a ton, it will take a few years to do it unless you go to a school and are there continuously. You will need to build time, which will take you more time and usually only done as an instructor. No Money there. So at 34 your looking at 40 before employment. Some here will poo poo that, get back to me in a few years.
Since you have a family, again I think take it easy and do the PPL. see how it goes from there. Aussieland and the UK are a different world and unless your going to live there, very expensive. I am watching the Rand go through the roof as I type. The Cape is more beautiful than either of those places. Personally I dont care for UK Politics, but in my country its been that way for a few hundred years.

Last edited by B Sousa; 24th Aug 2015 at 15:50.